Cryo-Cell is one of the largest family cord blood banks in the world. The company stores more than 400,000 cord blood specimens internationally, making it the third largest private cord blood bank worldwide. Cryo-Cell offers both cord blood and tissue storage to families.
In 2018, Cryo-Cell International acquired Cord:Use. Following the acquisition, Cryo-Cell has maintained Cord:Use’s public banking service and its close relationship with Duke University Medical Center. The esteemed Dr. Joanne Kurtzberg, known for her work at Duke treating brain injuries like autism and cerebral palsy with cord blood, joined Cryo-Cell International as its medical director after the merger.
- Founded in 1989, Cryo-Cell is the oldest cord blood bank. Cryo-Cell prides itself as the first in the world to separate and preserve stem cells for family use, in 1992.
- Cryo-Cell uses the PrepaCyte®-CB processing method. Cryo-Cell cites multiple studies that show that PrepaCyte-CB leads to faster patient recovery over other processing methods. Read more about PrepaCyte-CB and other processing methods here.
- Cryo-Cell uses a storage bag with five individual segments for multiple uses.
- One of few cord blood banks certified to stringent FACT (Foundation for the Accreditation of Cellular Therapy) standards.
Collection, Transport, and Storage
A sterile bag made by Pall Medical is used for collection. The bag is FDA-approved. It uses the anticoagulant CPD and is completely heparin-free, as recommended by the FDA, to maximize stem cell recovery. The company uses ChloraPrep for sterilization.
Cryo-Cell says its collection containers are designed to maintain room temperature for up to 30 times longer than traditional kits.
Cord blood is stored in cryo-bags with five individual segments, allowing only a portion of the cord blood to be used if needed. The materials are placed in a freezer using the vapor phase of cryogenic nitrogen. Extra tubes of the maternal blood are collected and stored for additional access to future testing if ever needed.
Cryo-Cell uses the HES processing method as standard. Cryo-Cell also has a premium processing method, PrepaCyte-CB, which it says eliminates 99% of red blood cells and retains most of the colony-forming stem cells for a greater chance of engraftment and quicker recovery if ever needed in a transplant.
Advertised prices may not contain current promotions.
- Standard cord blood processing (first year storage and testing included) — $1600
- Premium cord blood processing (first year storage and testing included) — $1950
- Annual storage fee — $150
- 21-year package — $4599
Discounts available for the following:
- Returning clients
- Referred clients
- Active military members
- Medical professionals
- Childbirth educators
- Parents having multiple children
Licensure and accreditations
Cryo-Cell is registered with the FDA (U.S. Food and Drug Administration) and accredited by the AABB (American Association of Blood Banks). It is the only private cord blood bank to be certified by FACT for meeting its stringent quality protocols.
The full list follows:
- cGMP- and cGTP-compliant
- Licensed in California, Maryland, New Jersey and New York
700 Brooker Creek Blvd.
Oldsmar, FL 34677