ViaCord is a private bank that offers collection and long-term storage of both cord blood and cord tissue. With more than 350,000 cord blood units stored, ViaCord is the third largest cord blood bank in the United States.
ViaCord was established in 1993 by Cynthia Fisher. In 2000, ViaCord became a division of ViaCell, a cellular medicines company co-founded by Ms. Fisher. In 2005, ViaCell became a publicly traded company, and in 2007, ViaCell was purchased by PerkinElmer, a life science company that specialized in genetic-screening. Cynthia Fisher served on the board of directors and operations were turned over to the new parent company.
In its early days, Viacord used the University of Cincinnati’s Hoxworth Blood Center to process and store cord blood.
- ViaCord is the 3rd largest of the U.S. cord blood banks with more than 350,000 cord blood units stored.
- It has been the intermediary for a number of cord blood transplants and has been involved with more than 280 transplants.
- ViaCord reports a high survival rate for patients who have undergone a cord blood transplant: One-year survival rate is 88%, and long-term survival rate is 82%
- Transplant recipients have been involved in multiple clinical trials researching stem cell treatments for severe diseases like cancer, diabetes, and cerebral palsy
Collection, Transportation, and Storage
Viacord uses a sterile collection bag from Pall Corporation. It’s bags are filled with CPD, which it says improves the amount of stem cells harvested by up to 50%.
ViaCord uses a five-chambered storage bag to allow for multiple treatment opportunities. As with most cord blood banks, the collections are stored in the vapor phase of cryogenic nitrogen to help eliminate risks for contamination.
Advertised prices may not contain current promotions.
- Cord blood processing (testing and first year of storage included) — $1,750
- Cord blood and tissue processing (testing and first year of storage included) — $2,795
- Annual cord blood storage fee — $175
- 20-year cord blood package — $4,340
Licensure and accreditations
ViaCord is registered with the FDA (U.S. Food and Drug Administration) and is accredited by the AABB.
The full list of ViaCord’s accreditations follows:
- Licensed in California, Maryland, New Jersey and New York
- AABB- and CLIA-accredited
930 Winter Street
Waltham, MA 02451