Founded in 1998, New Jersey-based LifebankUSA offers both private banking and public donation storage. The bank provides additional storage options for placenta, which increases the amount of stem cells collected during processing.
- A business unit of Celgene Cellular Therapeutics, a subsidiary of the Celgene Corporation
- 46 cord blood units from LifebankUSA have been used in transplants
- LifebankUSA is the first company to report a successful transplant using placenta-derived cord blood
- Using placenta and umbilical cord stem cells to find new treatment methods for dangerous conditions, like Crohn’s disease and peripheral artery disease
- Accredited by the FDA (U.S. Food and Drug Administration) and the AABB (American Association for Blood Banks)
Collection, Transportation, and Storage
LifebankUSA provides a collection kit to all donor families, which includes a Chloraprep disinfectant for cleaning the umbilical cord before processing.
An anticoagulant is applied to the shipping containers, which preserves traveling stem cells. The transportation units maintain room temperature for several hours, providing safe travel for the umbilical cord.
Once the container arrives at the storage facility, a process called red blood cell depletion is used, which separates white and red blood cells. LifebankUSA offers a 99% purity level, meaning more stem cells are harvested and stored.
Separate storage bags are used to process umbilical cord blood and placenta stem cells. The freezers used at LifebankUSA’s facility preserve collected stem cells at -190 degrees Celsius.
- Cord blood collection, processing, and first-year storage fees (umbilical cord only) – $2,175
- Cord blood collection, processing, and first-year storage fees (umbilical cord and tissue) – $2,850
- Cord blood collection, processing, and first-year storage fees (umbilical cord and placenta) – $4,200
- Cord blood collection, processing, and first-year storage fees (umbilical cord, tissue, and placenta) – $4,250
Annual storage fees
- Cord blood only – $125
- Cord and tissue – $250
- Cord and placenta – $250
- Cord, tissue, and placenta – $300
45 Horsehill Road
Cedar Knolls, NJ 07927
Last Updated on