Founded in 2008, Americord is one of the younger cord blood banks. It is a private bank that offers cord blood, cord tissue, and placental tissue banking.
- Americord uses a modified version of the industry-standard HES processing method called “Cord Blood 2.0.”
- Americord is one of the few cord blood banks to offer placental storage.
- Americord’s plan are a minimum of 20 years of storage.
Collection, Transport, and Storage
Americord uses a sterile bag made by Pall Medical for collection. The bag is FDA-approved, and it uses the anticoagulant CPD as recommended by the FDA.
Americord uses a modified version of the popular HES processing method called “Cord Blood 2.0.” (Read about HES and other processing methods here.) Americord says the changes in Cord Blood 2.0 allow it to extract more stem cells than traditional methods, but this claim has not been independently verified.
Americord is one of the few private cord blood banks to offer a placental tissue banking service. It says placental tissue could be a possible benefit for mothers in the future.
Advertised prices may not contain current promotions.
- Cord blood processing and storage (20 years of storage and testing included) — $3,499
- Cord tissue processing and storage (20 years of storage and testing included) — $3,499
- Placental tissue processing and storage (20 years of storage and testing included) — $3,999
Licensure and accreditations
Americord is registered with the FDA (U.S. Food and Drug Administration) and currently uses at least one lab that is accredited by the AABB and CLIA-certified.
The full list of Americord’s accreditations follows:
- Licensed in California, Illinois, Maryland, New Jersey and New York
139 Fulton St
New York NY 10038